Hello everyone! Now is the time year where we envision fitness and health goals and new plans for ourselves. During this season, we try to figure out how to go about bettering ourselves and how to stick to our goals.
I’m writing this article to give you some ideas as to how to make your fitness and health dreams and goals a reality.
• Consistency is key. Try coming up with a sustainable and realistic workout routine and nutrition plan. Don’t bite off more than you can chew, and if you are unfamiliar with how to reach your goal, seek out the help of a fitness professional.
• You don’t have to do this alone. Like mentioned previously, it’s important to get the correct facts and learn how to do exercises properly- this will save you time in the long run and can help you avoid injury. It will also ensure you are working out the correct muscles. If a fitness professional is not doable for you at this time, I would at least take group x classes that fit your skill level or recruit one of your friends to workout with you. They could even walk or hike with you weekly. Building an accountability network is paramount when reaching your goals. It’s much harder to give up if you fear letting someone else down.
• Log your progress. Tracking will help you to see your strengths and weaknesses clearly. Our emotions surrounding our goals can often become skewed by our own brains. Writing down objective data will help minimize this.
• Have self compassion. Do not get down on yourself if you don’t meet your goals in a specific time frame or had one too many cheat meals. Be kind to yourself, acknowledge your error, come up with a new plan of action to get you back on track, and think of ways to minimize slippage in the future. Being proactive is key when working on yourself and anything else for that matter.
• Think of the long term gain from achieving your goals. It’s often so easy to only think of the short term such as today or the next hour. Reaching your fitness goals require you to sometimes make small sacrifices for long term gain. Try to put things into perspective and think of how happy and/or how good you will feel when you reach your goal, and how “cheating” yourself now won’t help to achieve that. Small sacrifices are key for long term fulfillment here.
• Slow and steady wins the race. Have realistic expectations. Don’t expect to meet your goal in a day or a week. Most goals worth reaching take time. Be patient and enjoy the learning and effort that comes with the journey just as much as reaching your destination.
• And finally, keep positive! Even if results don’t seem in sight as long as you are working towards something consistently and intelligently you will get there!?
I hope this has given all readers some insight as to how to stick your new year’s resolutions regarding health and fitness. If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to us at Body Unlimited Fitness. We are always here to help!